Welcome aboard to the Paradise Yachts Trawler School; the school designed specifically for the new trawler or motor yacht buyer. Power boats are Paradise Yachts bread and butter.
Each year we help many new buyers locate and buy their used boat. And in most cases, we find that these shoppers had little working knowledge of the types of yachts on the market. Nor did they know the different operating systems aboard and how the formal buying process works.
But we helped those customers buy their boats simply through trial and error. Thus, this Trawler School was born. In addition, if you can’t decide between a trawler, a motor yacht or a cruiser, this Trawler School will walk you through the process by comparing all of them for you.
There are plenty of schools out there that let you operate a yacht to see how you like it, but none that provide you pre-purchase instruction.
The goal of this trawler school will be to provide you a step-by-step guide on how to choose and buy your boat.
This trawler school is a hands-on process, we will be in class aboard the Patricia Ann, our 40′ sundeck trawler. If you haven’t already taken a look at her, you can do so at this website page. We’ll be looking at real examples of a real trawler and her systems throughout the day.
You’ll also receive a reference guide to take back home with you. If it would be better for you, we will gladly come to your location.
7:30 AM – 12:00
- Definitions – Directions Aboard
- Definitions – Parts Of A Yacht – A
- Definitions – Parts Of A Yacht – B
- Annual Cost Of Yacht Ownership
- What Are You Going To Do With Your Boat
- Living Aboard A Yacht
- Displacement And Semi-Displacement
- Yacht Styles – A
- Yacht Styles – B
- Accommodations And Layouts – Trunk
- Accommodations And Layouts – Sundeck
- Accommodations And Layouts – Sedan
- Accommodations And Layouts – Pilothouse
- Accommodations And Layouts – Passagemaker
- Storage Aboard
- Galley Layouts
- Dinette Layouts
- Yacht Sizes
1:00 AM – 4:30 PM
- Operating Systems – Electrical Systems
- Operating Systems – HVAC Systems
- Operating Systems – Electronics Systems
- Operating Systems – Waste Systems
- Operating Systems – Potable Water System
- Used Yacht Market
- Searching For and Locating the Perfect Yacht
- Common Used Yacht Deficiencies
- Nice Features To Have Aboard
- Things You Will Need Aboard
- Purchase Process – Role Of Broker
- Purchase Process – Financing Options
- Purchase Process – Making An Offer
- Purchase Process – Marine Surveys
- Purchase Process – Acceptance Or Rejection
- Purchase Process – Closing
- Purchase Process – Documentation
- Purchase Process – Sales Taxes
- Purchase Process – Insurance
Post – Purchase Subjects
But wait, there’s more. After you buy your trawler, motor yacht or cruiser through our brokerage there is more to learn so these additional training topics are offered at no cost to you, a customer of Paradise Yachts. We offer you a full three days of training with you at the wheel. We conduct this portion of the school aboard your new trawler, motor yacht or cruiser.
If you wish to take the course and NOT have Paradise Yachts assist you with buying a boat, the course fee is $800.00.
- Pre-Cruise Checks
- Trip Planning
- Knot Tying, Handling Lines And Fender Deployment
- Using The Windlass And Deploying Your Anchor
- Living at Anchor
- Close Quarter Boat Handling
- Detailed Instructions On Chart Reading
- Navigational Skills
- Using Your Chart plotter
- Piloting Your Yacht
- Bottom Cleaning And Zinc Maintenance
- General Maintenance
- Shore Power Hookup
- Stuffing boxes
- Boat Care And Cleaning Tips
- Exterior Cosmetics
- Boating Safety – Man Overboard Drills
- Using The VHF Radio
- Using The Generator
Boat Buyer’s School Rates
Paradise Yachts offers this Yacht Buyers School for two, you and your guest, absolutely free if you commit to allowing us to assist you in the purchase of your yacht. We do however ask for a $800.00 deposit before providing the course; your money will be refunded if we successfully assist you in the purchase of a boat.
Meet Your Crew
Your school instructors have over 60 years of boating experience.
- Mike Dickens – Yacht Broker and President of Paradise Yachts – 14 years, live aboard trawler owner – 14 years, boat owner/operator – 35 years
- Mary Dickens – Vice President of Paradise Yachts, first mate and live aboard trawler owner – 14 years, boat operator 25 years